Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Red Red Red Red

So I'm sure that every single person that reads this blog knows that February is National Go Red Month and February 3rd is National Wear Red Day (American Heart Association is raising awareness for women and heart disease)!? Well if you didn't, now you do...glad I could enlighten your day (it won't happen too much so don't get used to it!).
I have a friend who works for the American Heart Association down here in Chucktown and she has gotten me (well the store) involved in their new campaign called "Paint the Town Red." We had heart disease survivors come into the store a couple months ago and ask if we wanted to participate. Being the AWESOME store that we are (he he he) we said "of course!"..."but wait, what do we have to do?"They explained that they would come back the beginning on February and paint their symbol on our window and that we should decorate our windows with a red theme. Ok, no problem! What they forgot to mention was that the local news was going to be judging all the participating retailers windows and pick a winner (that means it is now a competition!).
Now, I mentioned in a previous post that I am SO far from athletic that it's not even funny...YET I have this raging desire to WIN everything...so BRING ON THE COMPETITION retailers on King St!!!!! My mother-in-law and I were stumped with what to do since we didn't have any red clothes...whatever we did had to be original and we HAD to win!!!!
Enter a trip to Michaels, some red poster board, red tissue paper and ribbon with hearts and the idea is born! I took the two mannequins that we had up front and made skirts our of the poster board and scrunched up tissue paper and attached it all over the mannequins to create a "dress." It was a lot of trial and error, but I'm pretty freakin happy with the outcome!

My friend that works for The Heart Association came by and painted the little red dress on the window, so now we're official! 

No joke...these have both been in the window for a little less than 2 hours and I've already had people comment on how awesome they are and even had people take pictures!!!! 
Did I miss my calling in life!? Was I supposed to be a tissue paper dress designer!? My husband is looking for the next big thing...maybe I'm onto something!?

Stayed tuned for the results of the competition....


Sarah
xoxoxoxoxox


No comments:

Post a Comment